Sunday, October 08, 2006

What a Rush!


Well, it's done and what a rush it was! Alanna didn't let me down and pushed me beyond what I thought I was capable of and I beat my last year's time by over a minute speedwalking the entire 21.1 km - no cheating! There were again walkers who ran portions but I decided not to let it bother me as I was there once too. The written rules don't mention anything about occasional running so they were probably unaware of that particular rule. I decided my goal was to beat last years time without running and that's the goal I focused on. Alanna was a true blue friend and stuck with me the whole way - personally I think she could have won in our age category but she insisted on sticking with me. If you read this Alanna - THANKS from the bottom of my heart - you're a great coach and a wonderful friend!

My next goal is to go in the 10km run that's happeninging in Stanley Park (Vancouver) in a couple of weeks. I will run as much as I can but will also walk - it will be the first step towards possibly running a whole marathon one day. . .

5 comments:

Amy A. said...

Woo-hoo! Good job!

What was the medal for?

Deanne said...

Every finisher gets a metal. You walk (or run) through the finish line, they announce your name and then put a metal around your neck. It's really quite a fun experience. People all lined up on each side cheering you on etc. I think you'd enjoy the experience as well!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, sister! Next step, Olympics!!

Anonymous said...

I think that's great! Good luck with the 10km run.

Anonymous said...

Congrats!! I am getting pumped up about my walk. although it wont be speed walking...