Sunday, October 29, 2006

Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain


I've always wanted learn how to draw, paint, and basically bring out my creative side. I recently started taking a drawing course that is taught based on the book Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain. Is is very interesing and I'm learning a lot. It's not an easy course as making the switch from your left literary side to your right visual side isn't always an easy transition (at least that's my experience). You can almost feel it when you've switched - very interesting the way it works. Anyways, at the beginning you have to draw a self-portrait and then at the end of the five week course you draw another self portrait and compare. It should be interesting. This week is week four. I'll post both pictures at the end . . . if I dare!

4 comments:

Amy A. said...

That sounds really cool! How do you switch to the right side of your brain?

Deanne said...

By doing certain exercises that force you to use the other side such as drawing pictures upside down. You have to train yourself to see the shapes etc. in what you're drawing and not tell yourself "I'm drawing an eye". Rather you draw all the shapes and shadows etc. that make up the eye and the the eye appears. If you google the name of the book it tells all about it and also show before and after pictures.

Anonymous said...

cool! you better show us those pictures! I'm very excited for you.

Anonymous said...

That is neat. I took a class on something like that in university once a long time ago in a galaxy far away. Be sure to post your pics!