Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Whistler Getaway!

Matthew and I just returned from a two night getaway in beautiful Whistler, BC the future home of the 2010 Olympics! We stayed at the Cascade Lodge right in the village. It was an amazing time - the weather was perfect, the trees were brilliant with color - I couldn't help staring at the spectacular scenery wherever we went! It was supposed to rain the whole time so it was a total serendipity (unexpected pleasure) - I love that word!
We decided to be spontaneous and booked ourselvs with Ziptrek for the ride of our lives! The guided tour included five incredible zipline rides that gain progressively in height and length with the longest spanning over 1100ft (and apparently we went as fast as 80-90km/hour on that one!). We experienced the exhilaration of flying as we glided along steel ziplines suspended high above the breathtaking white-water river that divides Whistler and Blackcomb Mountains. It was a rush and we totally recommend it if you are ever in the area.


This is a picture of Matthew soaring through the sky as graceful as an eagle! Doesn't that look exciting!!
Here are some beautiful pictures of the area. I wish I was a better photographer because these pictures just don't capture the beauty up there. All around it was a great couple of days - I think we'll have to go back again . . . soon!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You totally have inspired me to go on a spontaneous getaway. It looks so beautiful there. I will have to talk to eric, he will probably wanna wait for ski season...

Anonymous said...

That looks like a total rush! One way to really discover how a bird feels. I always wanted to be a bird. I'll have to get Dave thinking about that trip! Glad you had such a good time!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous scenery!!! That zipline looks like a lot of fun! Was it scary the first time?

Deanne said...

The first few weren't too bad in terms of scare factor but the 4th zipline was a total rush (it's the longest zipline in North America)! I thought that death was a possibility - it was so high and soooo fast. I think it would have been worse if we had been going slower though - more time to think about the possibilities . . .

Amy A. said...

I've always wanted to do one of those zip line things....so cool! I like how Uncle Matt soared like an eagle...did you fly like that too?!

Deanne said...

Uhhh, not exactly. On that particular line I think I was pretty much white nuckled the whole way! That's the one where little unfortunate words kept slipping through my clenched teeth!